A. For the longest time, I was a hired gun in my community. As I got around and a little more popular people would come to support me. One time a promoter billed the event as my name "with his orchestra" I was horrified especially because I had no idea what band it was or who the musicians where. I said to myself, people should know the truth. The name of the band is "LA Verdad" in English THE TRUTH.
5. Growing up, how important has music been in your life? Can you recall the moment when you decided that you wanted to be a musician? Was it an easy or difficult choice to make?
A. I grew up in the business. I began singing back in the '70s.. Dating myself. Regional traditional folk. I was born and raised in the U.S.A but a bit of my childhood was spent doing films in Mexico singing in all the 8 feature films I made. My whole family sings. I don't remember a time when I wasn't singing..LOL
6. Was there ever a time when you thought about doing something else? If you weren't a musician today, what could you see yourself doing?
A. Honestly, I'm a performer. Look at my social media. That's who I am. Everyone in my circle is the same. I work with some of the most professional musicians in Los Angeles. Our work speaks for itself. I am an actor who does TV, film, commercials, voice overs, musical theater...with credits. No plan b.
7. What has been the biggest surprise so far about making music your career? What has been an unexpected or welcome challenge to it all?
A. The fact that I've been able to do it and support my family. My wife works of course but it's a blessing for me to say.
I got a Grammy in 2013 for my contribution to "Imaginaries" QUETZAL (Folkway Records) Music is no surprise. Maybe the places It's taken me. I played Afghanistan for troops back in 2006, that was cool.
8. What was it like putting together your EP?
A. In the process.
9. Who are some of your favorite artists or rather, what musicians have continued to inspire you and your music? Who would you absolutely still love to work within the future?
A. I'd love to work with Stevie Wonder, Gregory Porter. Arturo Sandoval, Herbie Hancock, Eddie Palmieri wow...too many, not fair.
I've been blessed, In LA I've worked with quite a few artists. I do backgrounds too.
10. What has it been like keeping up with your social media accounts and all of the different platforms? Is it hard to stay up to date on it all? What would you say is your favorite way to connect with your fans now?
A. Not hard, not really. Time-consuming but necessary. I personally love Instagram these days. I didn't give it the attention I should've but that's all changed, numbers steadily rising. My FB page is full I have two others and I welcome you again to see what I'm about. I don't really post anything personal or political. I have beliefs but those are also personal and have no place on my stage.
11. If you were going to be stranded on a deserted island, what musical item would you take with you and why?
A. A drum, to sing.
12. If your music was going to be featured on any TV show that is currently on right now, which would you love it to be on? Or if you prefer, what is a movie that you love that you wish your music was featured in?
A. That's where anyone who works with me will score. I hear us everywhere. We are the Poncho Sanches band on steroids. I use a lot of the same musicians.
13. At the end of the day, what do you hope people take away from your music?
I'd hope to build a bridge. Anyone who loves really good music with really great, not so famous, veteran professional musicians. An intimate inclusive experience.
14. When you are not making music what else do you enjoy to do?
I'm a musical director at a church (10 years) actor (auditions) and I'm a husband.
Listen LIVE to ECMD Radio!
Streaming 24/7ECMD Radio is a reporting station playing new & upcoming artists across the nation! Send your professionally recorded CLEAN songs to: ECMDradio@gmail.com and SuperStarMaker@gmail.com (Subject line: "AirPlay Request for ECMD Radio") Be sure to follow @ECMDRadio on Twitter.
Feel free to contact US for anything you don't understand?? (we can provide major radio, retail, and International Distribution ALSO). Contact Kermit for the BEST Possible package to meet your specific NEEDS !!! (text requests to 216-276-1829).
WE do a QUALITY job for YOU = ALL the time 25/8 !!! …